Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Soccer mania--its not so bad


It's weird that the US is so out of synch with the rest of the world. One example which cannot be more obvious is the love for football (or as the Yanks call it "soccer"). The apathy towards this game is in so much contrast with what is going on elsewhere. Soccer seems to be so boring and action-less, as described by most in the US. But in most other countries, football is like the air people breath--it's so ingrained in the lives of the people young and old. But to each his own, I think the love of sports is based on nostalgia and what you have experienced as you were growing up. I can never grasp what fun is in baseball, for example.

Anyway I sat down and watched the World Cup Italy VS Germany semifinal. I couldn't help rooting for Italy, the underdog, and to my surprise, I ended up enjoying the game quite a lot. Italy scored 2 goals in the last few minutes of the game and sent the Germans packing. They are now going to the final. For those who watch the sports for "secondary" gain, you can see a lot of nice looking lads doing amazing soccer skills. One dude certainly caught my attention. Alessandro Del Piero, who scored the second goal, is pretty hot (the guy in the pic). Eat your heart out, Beckham!! See it for yourself. I think I'm gonna watch the final this time.

No comments: