Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Cool mode of transport



In the past, I always loved taking the train to places (not counting the NYC subways, of course). It gave me a sense of adventure and mystery, a chance to interact with people, and to enjoy the real scenery which you would never get to see if you were flying. There were also something intriguing about the train stations in each city I have been to, no matter how large or small. My overnight train trips through the mountain and small towns in Thailand were always interesting in one way or another. The rides on the infamous Japanese Shinkansen "Bullet Trains" and the French TGV were thrilling. But for some reason, my train rides in the US have been kinda lackluster, and occasionally downright scary. The cars are often dirty and stinky. The trains are really slow for the fares you pay for. It is sad the "train culture" never flourishes here in the US. I got totally envious after seeing the news of the new TGV which can reach the speed of more than 350 MPH (just imagine a trip from NYC to DC in about an hour and LA to SF in less than 2 hours!!). Call me weird, I think that new TGV train is pretty darn sexy!!

No comments: