Thursday, September 21, 2006

Showdown at the United Nations

This week the UN assembly so far has shown us the points of view of several of world's leaders. Regardless of one's opinion in the international conflicts, a few of the remarks are surprisingly off the wall, including the Venezuela Pres. calling Pres. Bush "the devil", and the Iranian president questioning the truth of the WW2 holocaust. US representative to the UN sort of ignored these comments totally. All I see is the lack of trust and reflection of the smaller and poorer countries, feeling alienated and oppressed, in turn react by behaving against the "conventional" rules set by the majority of the world. This obviously pisses of the US even more and they enter a vicious cycle of ego bashing on both sides. The response from the Bush administration seems somewhat dismissive and arrogant to me, and I think this is a very dangerous way to deal with these "rogue" groups. History repeats itself and this situation is reminiscent of how Germany and Japan were treated before the WW2. What the western world calls "the axis of evil" does have their own arguments and reasons, and these should get the attention. (it seems like the Iranian president is trying to express his, whether the ideas are right or not.)

The more I think about this, the more depressed I get.

No comments: